CONDITIONAL SENTENCE

THE TYPES 4 OF CONDITIONALS




Type 0 (zero) - Zero Conditional
The conditional type zero is used when we want to talk about general truths, scientific facts or things which always happen under same conditions.
Important: We use this conditional when the result will always happen.
How to form Zero Conditional sentence:
Rule and Form: 
In 'zero' conditional sentences, the tenses in both parts of the sentence are the Simple Present:


IF CLAUSE (CONDITION)
MAIN CLAUSE (RESULT)
If + Simple Present Tense
Simple Present Tense
If you mix yellow and blue,

If
it gets hot,

If you touch a fire, 
It becomes green.

ice melts.

you get burned.

When we use if clause at the the beginning of the sentence we use a comma (,) :
If you heat ice,  it melts.
but when we use if clause at the end of the sentence we don't use a comma:
·         It melts if you heat ice.

Example Sentences:
·         If I miss the bus, I get late for work.
·         If peope eat to much, thay get fat.

Type 1 - First Conditional
We use the "First Conditional" to talk about present or future events that are likely to happen. This conditional is usually based on real events, and they are used to make statements about the real world, and about particular situations. Our aim in type 1 is often to give warnings:
How to form First Conditional sentence:
Rule and Form: 
In 'first' conditional sentences, the tenses in both parts of the sentence are present or future:

IF CLAUSE (CONDITION)
 MAIN CLAUSE (RESULT)
Simple present
Present Perfect (have+Verb3)
Present Continuous Tense
Can
Should
to be (am, is, are)
will
can, may (permision)
may , might, could (posibility)
must, have to (obligation)
should, had better, ought to (advice)
Imperative 
Main Clause (result part)
We can use will, can, may, might, could, must, have to should and imperative forms in the main clause of a first conditional.

Example:
- Will
If he's late again, I'll be very angry.
- Can / May (permisssion)
She can / may leave early if she's finished her work?
- May, might, could (possibility)

If the president doesn't come to the meeting, we may/ could/ might cancel it.
- Should 
If anyone should ask for me, I'll be in the manager's office.

 

Type 2 - Second Conditional 

The second conditional (also  conditional type 2) is a structure used for talking about unreal situations in the present or in the future. This conditional is usually based on unreal - imaginary events. These situations are most probably imposible to realize.  
There is not a real possibility that this condition will happen. 
For example, 
You dream of having a million Dollars. Normally, You don't have that much money.  it is imposible for you. 
but you just imagine having a million Dollars and say: (by using this type of conditionals)


If  I had a  million Dollars, I would buy a house in Hawaii.

If  I had a  million Dollars, I would drive a Ferrari car. 
You just imagine what you can do with such amount of money. 

Situation: 
I am ill now, so I won’t come with you. (this is reality in present and future) 
Conditional:  
If I weren’t ill, I would come with you. ( we use past time here, but the meaning is present.)
 
Situation:
They live in London so we can’t see each other very often (reality in present time) 
Conditional: 
If they didn’t live in London, we could see each other very often 
 
Situation:
She can’t buy that car, because she doesn’t have enough money. (reality in present time) 
Conditional: 
She could buy the car if she had enough money. 
 
Example:
If I lived near my office, I’d (would) be in time for work.
If I won a million Dollars, I would buy a Ferrari car.

Type 3 - Third Conditionals 
(it is also known as the "past unreal conditional") 
 
The third conditional sentences are used  to talk about situations in the past that didn’t happen and their hypothetical - imaginary consequences. 
Important: We use this type only for the actions happened in the past. Therefore, situations are past and impossible to change and we just imagine the other way.
Example 1: 
I didn’t study for the test, so I failed it.      
(It is past and impossible to change and I just imagine the other way and say: )
If I had studied for the test, I wouldn’t have failed it.  (reality: I didn't study, and failed)
 
Example 2: 
She was late for school, because she didn’t go to bed early. 
(It is past and impossible to change and I just imagine the other way and say:)
She wouldn’t have been late for school if she had gone to bed early.
 
Example 3: 
My parents didn’t let me go out so I couldn’t go to cinema with you. 
(It is past and impossible to change and I just imagine the other way and say:)
If my parents had let me go out , I could have gone  to cinema with you.
    
How to form Third Conditional Sentences 
We use Past Prefect Tense  in the condition part. 
We use would / could / might + have + verb3 in the main clause.

if + had verb3, would / could / might have verb3 

Example:                   
·        If I hadn't run, I might have missed the train.
If you had taken your umbrella, you wouldn't have got wet.











Comments